Trouble sleeping? You are so not alone! According to the sleep foundation, 67% of women say they have a sleeping problem! Poor sleep can lead to increased levels of stress, anxiety, depression, irregular periods, moodiness, and eeeek AGING just to mention a few.
If you’re a mother then you probably already have read countless sleep how-tos, articles, and books around how to get your baby to sleep through the night. EVERY single one talks about the importance of a good bedtime routine that usually entails a calming warm bath, warm milk, sound machine, and a dark bedroom. If you are like me then you have spent WAY too much time and money making sure your baby has THE MOST optimized sleep-inducing routine to get the most zzz’s from my little one.
So where did we go wrong in life forgetting to take care of our own sleep as much as we do for our babies? Well, life can get super stressful and it’s sometimes hard to stick to any routine or ritual! Collectively women everywhere are experiencing sensory and schedule overload like never before. The result — increased levels of stress, anxiety, insomnia, hormone imbalances, over stimulation and lack of sex drive.
Thankfully, there are some simple tips and tricks to help you get good at sleep and lower stress levels!
Why is it good to have nighttime rituals?
Just like a baby’s nighttime routine, when women stick to a consistent routine you are more likely to give your body the correct signals that can lead to having an optimized circadian rhythm. Proper signaling from your body's internal clock can help you fall asleep, get more deep sleep, and prevent all the middle of the night wake ups.
- 1. Stay consistent with your sleep schedule (same sleep and wake times)
- 2. Look at sunlight first thing in the morning - signals to your body it daytime
- 3. Regular exercise
- 4. No caffeine after 1pm
5. Incorporate natural sleep-inducing herbs like Juna’s Nightcap 1 hour before bedtime
- 6. A warm lavender bath - if you have time!
- 7. Make your bedroom as cool, dark, and quiet as possible (under 70 degrees is ideal)
- 8. No phones in bed (If you must, wear blue light blocking glasses)
- 9. No checking calders or reading emails right before bed
- 10. Remove the clutter and electronics from your nightstand and room
What science-backed natural supplements can help facilitate a good night of sleep and how do they work?
One of our go-to sleep aids is from the mom-founded, women’s wellness brand, Juna. Their Nightcap sleep drops (an organic nightly oral drop) optimizes your sleep cycles and relaxes the mind with the power of Full-Spectrum CBD, CBN, Passionflower, Mint, and Chamomile. Unlike melatonin, which can disrupt your body’s natural circadian rhythm, Nightcap is non habit-forming and restores natural sleep/wake cycles. It also helps increase Stage 3 Deep Sleep, when your body, skin, and cells repair themselves so you’ll wake up not only feeling deeply refreshed and clear-headed but your skin looks better too! Nightcap is 5-star customer rated and 91% of their users report deeper sleep and lower stress levels with daily use.
Here is how the powerful ingredients in Nightcap work:
- _ CBD: helps with sleep by impacting your circadian rhythms, or sleep-wake cycles and restores balance to our endocannabinoid system, which helps you sleep deeper at a more restorative level.
- _ CBN: a minor cannabinoid known for its sedating effects.
- _ Chamomile: primes liver detoxification pathways and decreases cortisol levels in the brain, helping you enter those deep, reparative stages of sleep. Chamomile is commonly regarded as a mild tranquilizer, digestif and immune booster.
- _ Passionflower: scientifically proven to prolong your stage 3 (deep sleep cycle). More Stage 3 Sleep = more time your body spends in age-reversal mode. This stage is also when our brain enters glymphatic mode ( this is where the brain actually washes itself to clean out the waste leaving you feeling refreshed the next day)
How do you incorporate Juna’s Nightcap CBD into your current nighttime routine?
We love tinctures because unlike chalky powders, Nightcap is a liquid drop so you can easily drop it directly under your tongue or seamlessly integrate into any nighttime beverage of your choice without compromising flavor. Last but not least, it’s USDA organic and 3rd party tested for efficacy and purity.
JZ: About 30 minutes before bed I make a cup of chamomile tea and add 1 dropperful of nightcap. It blends perfectly with the tea and sets the tone for my body to start winding down. I do this for myself and my girls ( 8 and 15yrs) who both have a hard time calming their mind before bed. It’s a time of the day I find myself really craving.
Are there any other practices you do in your own lives to settle down for the evening?
It’s all about the wind down leading up to sleep. Instead of watching some action-packed thriller try a documentary or reading a book. I also love making a warm nighttime tea with a drizzle of Nightcap and if time permits, a warm bath can be so relaxing.
JZ: my newest nightly relaxation ritual is to go to bed with my nightcap tea, my airpods and my CHANI app. I follow astrology religiously and I’ve been loving listening to my personal weekly reading and her guided meditations before I sleep.
Can you share how your sleep has changed since using Juna’s Nightcap?
I had tried literally everything from melatonin to ambien and nothing ever would work for me. I either would wake up crazy groggy, would have terrible nightmares, or just no difference at all. Nightcap is the first and only sleep aid that has helped me actually sleep deeper and I feel better knowing that it is made from organic plants and botanicals versus synthetics.
JZ: I had struggled with sleep for years and for me there is no worse feeling than waking up feeling like I haven’t slept at all. I’ve never been a fan of sleep medications (too many negative side effects and as a mom of 2 I couldn’t risk it). We developed nightcap as a plant- powered alternative for women and mothers like us who were facing the same challenges. After using nightcap for only a week I noticed I was waking up more refreshed and rested than ever before validating the science behind the formula and how cbd and the other botanicals work together to achieve a deep restorative sleep. We’ve also had doctors and friends share with us that after they use nightcap their sleep reads a 90% optimization on their Oura rings vs a 60% when they don’t use nightcap.Nightcap has ultimately optimized my body’s natural sleep/wake cycles allowing me to feel great about going to sleep, staying asleep and waking up!
Sleep well but are stressed beyond?
Check out Juna’s targeted formulas for stress, anxiety, and daily mood boost.